Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This is a LOT OF WORK!

So, I started my class Monday Sept 13, International Chocolate Day!,  and let me tell you... I have a lot of respect for pastry chef now; Making chocolate is a LOT of WORK!

I got there and there were about 15 people in the class. The chef talked for about an hour about what tempering chocolate was and stuff. I was thinking, well... how hard can it be just melting chocolate, right? NO!!! If you just let the chocolate melt and cool, it will set as an unattractive, dull brown mass streaked with grey and its texture will be chalky and grainy. You MUST TEMPER IT!!! meaning you need to watch the temperature all the time, heat it, cool it, reheat it.... and you have to stir and stir (not too much otherwise the chocolate separates from the cocoa solids but not too little either or the crystals won't form). There is more; God forbid a drop of water gets in there, it will ruin the chocolate and you have to start all over again.

So... after he warned us of all the dangers of making chocolate he said: OK, we will make about 200 plus pieces with passion fruit, maple syrup and raspberry brandy filings. Let me tell you: I love chocolate, but i don't like fruity filings :(  .... but I went for it.

There are some pics for you:

  This is one of 3 huge bowls of melted chocolate we had:

And these are the molds after adding one layer of chocolate:

Then I was too busy and did not take pics, but we added the fillings and then another layer of chocolate and put it in the refrigerator a bit and then got all these:




So.... there were A LOT OF PIECES. We made boxes and everyone took home their delicious treats.

The class lasted 4 hours but it was so good:)

See you next time:) 

 Chocolatina

No comments:

Post a Comment